We’re at 6 days and counting until the SPACE (Small Press & Alternative Comics Expo) 2022 at the Rhodes Center at the Ohio Expo Center on the Ohio State Fairgrounds in Columbus, Ohio! It’s gonna happen next weekend, so mark your calendars!
Bob Corby, the show’s organizer, describes SPACE: “Now coming up on it’s 23th year, S.P.A.C.E. (Small Press & Alternative Comics Expo) is the Midwest’s longest running exhibition of small press, creator owned and art comics. And Columbus’ longest locally owned and operated COMICS show of any kind. Sponsored by Back Porch Comics.”
- The show runs on Saturday and Sunday, May 21-22.
- The show will be held at the Rhodes Center, 717 E 17th Ave, Columbus, OH 43211. (Parking costs $5/day)
- To get to the Rhodes Center: As of now you should approach the Ohio Expo Center on 17th Avenue. The Rhodes Center is to the north of 17th. If you coming from I-71 it will be on your right.
- Saturday hours are 10AM-6PM, and Sunday is 10AM-5PM.
- Admission is FREE, so you can save your money for the many, many small press, alternative and self-published comics that will be available. (Well, except for the parking…but that’s a Fairgrounds thing)
- There also will be panels about small press comics during both days and an awards ceremony for the SPACE prize recipients.
This is exciting on this end. I barely have scratched the surface of what appears to be an impressive local small press scene – what with Cartoon Crossroads Columbus, the Columbus Scribbler newspaper and all – and it’s been at least 35 years since I tabled at a comic show! (Grey hairs popping…)
Where to find me? There’s a graphic for that:
And I have a stand-up sign (OOOH!! Fancy!), Phoenix Productions stickers and some other displays where you can grab your copies, so a swing down my aisle means you won’t miss out.
It’s still hard to process…combine the amount of time since I tabled with two years passing since SPACE has had a live gathering (Thanks, COVID), my family’s halting reemergence from the COVID hermit-life and my fresh batch of books, ready to share with the world…and who knows how it will go!
I’m thrilled that one of my kids will be joining me on Saturday. If all goes well, it’ll be a two-day partnership — but dad can’t get greedy with a 9-year-old’s time. Make sure you stop by and offer some encouragement to one of Columbus’ newest comic creators!
Lastly, and don’t forget: Every purchase of the SPACE-debuting HEROES NOW #1 gets you an 11×17 HEROES NOW poster as long as I have them in stock!
SEE YOU THIS WEEKEND! Can’t wait! Come say hi!